Sunday, May 2, 2010

Meet Edwina

About 3 weeks ago, we decided it was necessary to procure a summer home for Flagstaff. I started looking on Craigslist for RVs and trailers, and that's when I fell head-over-heels in love with the money pit that we've come to call "Edwina", aka "The High-Road Rascal". She's a 1972 Invader that we purchased from a pack of swindlers in Harrah, Oklahoma. 

As usual, I learn my lessons the hard way, and Edwina HRR has proven no exception. Thankfully, my parents know a thing or two about RVs, and dad especially has proven his worth in the repair department. Mom and I have been working on the interiors, painting, making curtains, reupholstering cushions and hanging pictures. Greg and Dad got to have all the fun replacing busted pipes and completely rebuilding the bathroom floor, among other things. Thanks to good attitudes, hard work and Lowe's, we're almost done. I think. And...it's been fun!


 
You can see how excited Greg was to get started! At this point we thought everything worked and all we had to do was make curtains, clean it up and recover the cushions. Then...
 
There was a toilet, but I think we're better off with this hole.

  
New floor! Thanks, Dad!
Shower pan back in, new supports, tile and paint! Much better.

 The bedroom/couch area "before" shot. 
This is also where I waged war with all of the ants. Message to ant world: you squat in my summer home, you die!
 The bedroom/couch "after" shot. 
Notice the lovely air-conditioner is out of sight until we need it (hopefully NEVER). I still have the sofa/bed left to redo, and I'm debating whether I should paint the wood-grain. Part of me is drawn to the kitsch of it, part of me wants to paint it. In the end, it'll probably depend on how much time, energy and money I have left. In other words, the wood grain likely stays.

Kitchen countertops "before". 
Yes, that is sticky-back tile!
 AFTER! 
I found some formica at the Habitat for Humanity ReStore, and thankfully my dad (a Habitat builder/volunteer) knew how to do formica. Major improvement! This is also a new countertop that he made for us, the previous one was made out of particle board...

Kitchen nook "before". 
No curtains, aquafart blue cushions, white tabletop, and my favorite - the mirror-tiled dividing wall.  
Yay! Curtains and cushions and corkboard! Also, not pictured, but dad covered the white table in formica to match the new countertops. We've already installed the Tulsa VW calendar on the corkboard :) 
Anyone who knows Greg also knows how he feels about whitewall tires and freakshow wheels. 
I must admit, I admire his conviction. This looks much better.



No comments:

Post a Comment